August 3, 2011

Ethics in Government: a Lesson from George Washington ...


I posit this in regards to ethics in government.  There should be a degree of honesty, integrity, openness, frugality, diligence, dedication, humility, confidence, competence inherent in each and every public servant elected to office.  The general populace should know where each public servant stands, should be represented and given a voice by the elected servants.  The citizens should not have to worry about complicity in back-door deals, closed door politics, favoritism or cronyism. There should not be a widespread view of “good old boy” politicking going on where good and faithful service should be the norm.

George Washington said in reply to an address by the House of Representatives in 1789,

“I feel that my past endeavors in [your] service … are far overpaid by [your] goodness, and I fear much that my future ones may not fulfill your kind anticipation. All that I can promise is that they will be invariably directed by an honest and an ardent zeal.”

Such humility and desire to do well by the people he served is something I aspire to.

TLJ

No comments:

Post a Comment