September 14, 2011

The Race is Not Over



First, I wish to thank all those in Municipal Ward 2 who voted for me!  What a wonderful surprise that I could garner over 400 votes in this district. 

Second, I wish to give kudos to Mr. White for entering the race with such enthusiasm and ambition – having met him in person, I can truthfully say he is forthright and heartfelt in his ideology.

Third, I wish to give congratulations to my ever so worthy opponent, Mr. Richard Hyer. He has given me inspiration to study and work harder toward my goal of winning the seat to represent Ogden City’s Municipal Ward 2. Mr. Hyer has experience that I lack; however, I believe I have a fresh eye and mind with which to assess and address the issues that are important to the welfare and long-run well being of our Fair City. 

Now, bearing in mind the quote I found the other day by Henry Ford: “You can’t build a reputation on what you are going to do,” I want to start this new race with a fresh confidence that I can begin to build a reputation and support by discussing issues with individual voters, round table groups, etc.

With my academic accomplishments from my student tenure at Weber State University, I will bring detail-oriented analysis to the Council. I will acquire all the facts and knowledge needed to vote or respond appropriately on an issue before the Council; I will not vote based solely on an explanation given by another person.  I will take into account the matters surrounding the issue(s) that are best for the community at large (Municipal Ward 2) and Ogden City as a whole. 

I will hold to the message that I brought forth from the beginning – as a City Council, our responsibility is to consider the big picture for the city and not just the next 4 years … what we do, what we approve, what we amend or impose will affect our children. 

Education is paramount; although the City Council has no direct control over the School District, many things that cross our desks indirectly impact the local schools as well as other important basic infrastructure entities. I will work to lowering that impact to the best of my ability. If we can improve the quality of our children’s education by any means, it bodes well for the future of Ogden.

Better educated residents mean a higher quality workforce from which incoming businesses can draw from. Better educated residents mean more qualified entry level university students which will lead to more post-secondary graduates that will attract higher level technical businesses to Ogden which will in turn benefit our community in the long run. 

Infrastructure definitely needs to be addressed on a larger scale and as a whole - not piece-meal with a band-aid here and there.  We need to fall back and take a good look at appropriations for infrastructure and put in place safeguards to keep the status quo or build upon (not reduce or hold back) the resources for improving and maintaining infrastructure.  I will monitor these appropriations with due diligence, and then some. As stated above, education is paramount - and a big part of the infrastructure of our Fair City.

I will be fully accessible to anyone who has an issue to discuss, I will be available and I will work toward resolution or explanation of the issue as appropriate. I will not hold back or keep any action from the public at any time; what we do as a City Council is important enough that anyone in the City who so desires may have ready access to issues discussed in meetings, full disclosure of ordinances in terms of unabridged copies of all proposal documents, meeting minutes regarding such, both electronically and through hard copy.   

Some of you have already mentioned some issues that concern you as citizens in Ogden: yard/lawn/property ordinances, “double dipping” in the Police and Fire Departments, community plan updates, Municipal Ward 2 feeling left out of the loop when it comes to the RDA and community planning, chicken ownership. While I cannot promise to clear up or resolve any of these issues right away, I will certainly keep them in mind and get them in the discussions we have as a City Council. I will research current ordinance wording and consider details or lack thereof, work to get things clarified and I will always let you as citizens know how the issue is progressing.

Please use my contact information to your advantage now to let me know of issues that concern you as residents of Municipal Ward 2 or Ogden City, because the City Council is after all a united entity whose job it is to serve and have stewardship over all Ogden’s citizens.

TLJ

Phone – (home) 801-737-3044
Phone – (cell) 801-686-9571




No comments:

Post a Comment